Wednesday, January 11, 2017

I May Have A Scrap Problem... Starting the New Year Off Right!

Hi, all!

One of the goals I set for myself last week was to sort through my tubs of scraps - and yesterday I did just that!  I had three hours or so before my husband got home from work, and rather than start a new project (and before I could come to my senses!) I grabbed the neutrals tub and put it on the worktable....


Look at that mess!  Stuffed to the brim with all kinds of stuff - strings, tiny bits, big pieces... it took me the entire three hours to press all the wrinkles out and fold it neatly.


But I found such treasures - pieces from the very first quilt I made, some adorable I-Spy pieces that will find their way into my grandkids' My Small World quilts, and this adorable animal print!  I don't know if this was a sheet or just a really cute piece of fabric, but I've got a couple of fairly big pieces, so this will be turning up in a quilt someday soon!


So after three hours, this is what that tub looked like!  It sure felt good, and although my feet hurt (a lot!) I was feeling pretty virtuous, too.


And here's the (midway) result - a tub full of neatly pressed and folded scraps, all ready to be cut into lovely neat squares and sewn into quilts!  

My next step will be to look at the patterns I'm working with for the Stunning Stars quilt along (starting January 29th!) and see what in this tub will work with those quilts.  Once I've decided that, I'll cut the pieces I need from these scraps.  Having all these scraps pressed and folded will make that task so much easier!

So that's what I've been doing with my scraps this week.  I'm happy to say that little scrap monster...


...is starting to look a little better to me!  Domestication appears to agree with him - and just wait until I start using those scraps again to make some lovely quilts!  He'll turn into a pussycat...


Hugs!

Sarah

14 comments:

  1. Good for you! I sorted through my bin of triangles...all sizes shoved in there. I matched almost all of them by size into light/dark pairs. Now, they are ready to sew as leaders/enders in my everyday quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I organized most of my scraps and FQs when I set up my room for the longarm. I did manage to finish cutting Clue 7 of En Provence last night. I plan on sewing the last two clues between now and Friday night. Then will put it away and start cutting the wedding quilt out for my nephew and his bride to be. I hope to start on at least the beginning of it on Saturday.

    You have inspired me to make a list of things I want to get done each month. I am starting out small and will add to it if I finish early. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to do that too - I have two more tubs that are packed full

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing how much time we can spend ironing and sorting scraps. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My larger scraps are organized but I'm struggling with the smaller bits. I really need to set aside some time to figure out how to handle those.

    Congrats on taming the neutrals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I'm starting to unpack and re-organize here, the flooring is done! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, I have many buckets that same size that are overflowing....three hours per bucket....that could take some time. Good for you that you got that one done!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm working on organizing my scraps too. What is the My Small World Quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job. I have some scraps tamed but not all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE scraps! It's whole 'nother bucket of quilty potential!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ADORABLE!!! AND GOOD FOR YOU TO SORT AND PRESS THE SCRAPS! I'M IMPRESSED!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. January seems to be such a great month to Tame The Monster in our sewing rooms, lol. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!